BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, June 25, 2010

Stuff for Peter Pan Mommy

Last nite, we went to Bebehaus as I wanted to get this tortoise toy that shines stars onto the ceiling from his shell because I erm read that Nicole Richie uses it -_-

Sadly, it was sold out and they're still waiting for the new stock to arrive (which might be today and I'm now contemplating whether I should go back there tonight to get it!).

So anyways, we started looking at other stuff - Peter Pan Daddy browsing the drawers stand; me the other colourful stuff :)

Then I saw a section on breast pumps and started asking more information about them. All along I wasn't sure whether I'd succeed in breastfeeding so it didn't really dawn on me to get a pump (or spend all that money on a pump).

That's why the plan was to borrow the pump off my friend for 2 months to try out before I go back to work after maternity leave.

But Peter Pan Daddy offered to purchase it for me so what the heck! :)

I wanted to get a manual pump but they only sold electric ones so I narrowed it down to the Medela Swing:


Which you can either use the battery-operated function or electric point.

Also, according to the salesgirl, it has this 2-phase technology that mimics a baby sucking/feeding from your boobs. 1st phase would be rapid sucking and then it turns into the 2nd phase of slo-mo suction. Something like that.

And apparently it helps prevent your nipples from becoming too sore too. Which is one of the fears I have.

I actually read through the manual last night and it seems like it's real tedious to wash/sterilise after every pump. Imagine having to go through the whole routine every 2-3 hours in the middle of the night!

So if anyone has any short cut methods on how to quickly wash the pump after use, pleaseeeeee.... I'd be so grateful if you could share!

Apart from the pump, I also bought the below stuff from Earth Mama Angel Baby:


-- Shampoo & Body wash; Milkmaid Tea; C-Mama Healing Salve --

Since I haven't bought any shampoo/body wash for Peter Pan Baby, I thought of trying out this brand since I've read about the big hoo-haa on using organic products for your baby so this is my share of using organic products ok!

The Milkmaid Tea apparently is to help you produce more milk as I've heard many stories about not having enough milk? So I hope this tea would help me in a way.

As I have decided to go ahead with a c-section (a story which I shall leave for another day once I find out the exact date I'd like to go for it), another mother that went through a c-section told me to get some cream/balm for the scar.

And that's where the C-Mama Healing Salve comes in. Apart from scars, it can be used for stretch marks or even rashes as it is a herbal scar & skin balm.

I guess last nite's purchases were the most expensive that I've (or Peter Pan Daddy *koff*) spent on myself so far in this pregnancy. I hope it'd all be real useful when the time comes!

8 comments:

  1. I bought the Medela Swing too. Most people recommended a double breast pump but I found that a bit too pricey. I wash the parts each time after I use my pump but I only sterilise everything once, at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the double pump ones are like RM1k+++ *faints*

    I guess I just have to be hardworking to wash the pump even in the middle of the night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same breast pump. Only used it for day time. At night it's advisable to breastfeed the baby as that will encourage milk production. Something to do with the hormones being more at night and the bonding that comes with the baby suckling will stimulated milk let down. And much easier for you too. Who wants to wash the pump middle of the night?? I did that with Amanda for 14 months.

    My idea of sterilising is to rinse with boiling water. Same as bottles. Never did use the steriliser.

    Please do consider the C-Sect. It's basically cutting into two layers, your body and then the womb. And a longer cut too, compared to natural birth. So it's bound to be more painful and healing takes longer. I had 3 natural births and in all 3, I was up and about the very next day. No soreness, just a slight discomfort as can feel the thread, which eventually dissolved by itself.

    Just a reminder to get cream for sore breast, as that is bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This morning ur MIL just asked me to let the baby sleep with the CL at nite if not the CL's job will be super easy. I told her I want to try out BF-ing at nite and she asked me to pump instead -_- Anyways, no matter what she says I'm gonna try out first on my own and see how it goes from there.

    So do you soak it in boiling water or just pour boiling water over it?

    Yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into. I guess I just rather deal with the after pain on the tummy than down there. I don't mind the scar really...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I got Medela Swing too. Earlier I was planning to breastfeed directly but I have problems with latching on, low milk supply in the beginning so I am now pumping exclusively instead.

    I pump 4 hours once in a day so that is about 6 times a day (yes, I woke up middle of the night to pump too :( ) For me, I wash and rinse with hot water each time I pump but I have read somewhere you can just chuck the pump accessories (the ones that are in contact with the milk) in the fridge because milk can be mixed in different pumping sessions. Perhaps this will be easier for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole, haha so when you woke up in the middle of the night to pump, did you also wash & rinse it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I did.

    Oh yeah, earlier I went to Medela service centre as I was having problems with my adapter (it will start and stop suddenly when pumping *horrified*) Apparently, the staff told me the pump accessories should not be washed with hot water, warm water will do. And the breast shield is very delicate so should not use hot water on it. Mine already warped and yellowish so I got a new one :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear. I guess I'll just wash it with normal tap water and stuff it into the steriliser hehe

    ReplyDelete